March 30, 2012

Paint

"Art is what you can get away with."  At least that is my excuse and I am sticking by it.  This Pollockesque piece was half heartedly made by me when I discovered that my wife had some extra paint leftover from a project.  I found a canvas and then painted it, splattered it, and stuck a bottle cap from my favorite beer on it.  I then titled it, "Black Beauty Screams Welcome," for no reason other than it sounded like something that I am supposed to name it.

I am not a fan of some works of contemporary art, especially the ones that have esoteric names or meaning; the ones that seem to be created for the sole purpose to get one to "think," about what is art.  Those ones usually piss me off.  There is a "sculpture," at the Art Institute of Chicago made by Carl Andre titled, "Steel-Aluminum Plain." It takes up a good portion of an exhibition hall and just sits on the floor in alternating squares similar to a checkerboard.  The artist encourages viewers to walk on the tiles and hear the sound resonate from each step.  OK, what?  Listen, I like it, or I don't.  That's it nothing more.

Art is what you can get away with and what you take from it.  Which is why I enjoy art so much.  At least it gives us all something to talk about and the fact that Andre creates his random discussion pieces gives me a reason to fill up a nice chunk of a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment