April 28, 2012

Fern

I like to experience a place I travel to by hiking when I can.  I read about the Waihee Ridge Trail and saw that it received a lot of positive reviews so I choose the trail for the hike.  The trail starts off near some sleeping cows in a small field and has a serious incline.  Eventually it leads past some of the strangest trees and plants that I have seen.  Once on the ridge I was treated to a beautiful view of Kahului and the valley leading into the mountains.  Unfortunately, once we were close to the top we were surrounded by clouds.  Which was actually kind of cool but the view suffered.  While walking the trail I noticed thousands of fiddlehead ferns poking out of the forest floor.  In Maui the locals call the fern Pohole.  When the shoot is still young they pick them and use them in a variety of recipes.  I had the chance to try some and I was pleasantly surprised at the taste.  This little guy was almost four foot tall and was desperately reaching for the sun so that it can provide its tasty little shoots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment